- Sub Saharan Africa
- Weight: 79.2 to 110 lbs
- Deserts, arid savannas
- Breeding occurs anytime from June-November
- The eggs usually laid in the autumn
- Clutch size is 15-30 eggs.
- The eggs incubate underground for about 8 months.
- Herbivores that eat grasses and leafy plants
- Largest tortoises of Africa
- In the wild Sulcatas “aestivate” which means they go underground for months at a time in periods of intolerable heat and drought.
- Aestivating is not hibernating.
- The burrows are cooler and supply enough humidity to prevent the tortoise from dehydrating during this extended period.